Danzig -- Religions - Lutherans
As early as 1522 Lutherans had demanded their own church in Danzig, but it was only in 1557 that permission was granted to take communion in two forms. By 1577 free dissemination of Lutheran doctrine was allowed. Many Danzigers studied in Wittenberg. Most ethnic Germans in Danzig were Lutheran. A challenge to the Lutheran doctrine arose from the Calvinists (Reformed Church), whose presence in Danzig was surely aided by the Scottish settlers there. By the late 17th century, however, the Lutherans clearly and decisively dominated local government, as well as most churches. The Geistliches Ministerium, college of Lutheran pastors in Danzig, wielded strong influence in the City Council from the mid-17th century. The two most prestigious churches in Danzig were St. Mary's and St. Johann's in the Rechtstadt. Luise Kulmus-Gottsched learned catechism and was married in the latter; her mother was buried in the former.